Woven into the planning, design and construction of the Neuroscience Research Building is the intangible yet very real pillar of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- All individuals involved in planning, design and construction are considered equals.
- The core team of project leaders, managers, architects, contractors and planners comprise 60% men and 40% women.
- The project’s main contractor, McCarthy Building Companies, has provided opportunities for minority- and women-owned business subcontractors in bidding and has helped selected companies grow through training and mentorship programs.
- The School of Medicine works with high schools, colleges and local unions to encourage careers in construction.
- The school shares best practices, provides mentoring and offers talks and practical sessions on life skills, such budgeting and coping with depression — a major issue in the construction industry.
- The school extends its zero-tolerance discrimination policy beyond employees to the contractors, subcontractors and other vendors on the project.